Green Giant is partnering with PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center and We Day Minnesota to help parents Raise A Giant and put a stop to bullying in their community. We all need to take the steps to help prevent bullying in our community. One step we all can take is by teaching our children that bullying is not okay and encourage them to be a part of bully prevention. Green Giant would like parents to write a letter to their children telling them how special they are and let them know that they can be a part of the solution to stop bullying by being a "giant". After you write your letter to your child/children you can post it to RaiseAGiant.com, read the letters others have written while you're there. Below is the letter that I wrote to my daughter. She is only four but it is never too soon to teach your children about bullying. I kept it short and somewhat simple.
I love you so much and I think you are such a wonderful little girl. You make me so proud to be your mom. I want you to always remember to be kind and treat others the same way you want to be treated. If someone is ever mean to you in any way ask them to stop and if they don't then tell an adult. If you see someone being mean to someone else and that person has asked them to stop and they didn't, tell an adult. Those people that are mean to others and continue to be mean even though they were asked to stop are called "bullys". Please never become a bully and if you see someone being bullied do not allow it to continue, always tell an adult that you know and trust. Try to be friendly with everyone no matter how different they may be. You would not want someone to be mean to you because you are different from them. Stand up and be a "giant" by always being the better person. You are already such a sweet and friendly person, I hope you never change. I want you to know that you can talk to me and tell me anything no matter what it is. You are so important to me and I will always be here to listen.
Below are some tips on how to help spread the word about bullying.
1. Visit RaiseAGiant.com to find inspiration from the letters parents have written to their children.
2. Start your letter by letting your child know how special he or she is. Give examples of the unique things you love most about your child.
3. Encourage your child to always be proud of who they are, no matter what others may do or say.
4. Help your child recognize the signs of bullying.
5. Ask your child to not stay silent when they see someone being bullied. Show them that the right thing to do is help the person being bullied or go tell an adult. And, if they are comfortable with it, to speak up and say something.
6. Explain to your child how bullying is never okay, no matter what.
7. Share a story from when you were a kid of a time you experienced bullying and how you handled it.
8. Offer some suggestions for how to deal with bullying and explain how just one kid saying “that’s not ok” can influence other kids and help them become giants too.
9. Make sure your child knows that you will always protect and support them.
10. Let your child know that they are not alone and reassure them that you will always work with them to overcome whatever problems they may experience.
11. Share your letter at RaiseAGiant.com to inspire other families to be a part of the bullying prevention solution.
Check out the Raise A Giant video below!
*Disclosure: The information has been provided by Green Giant® through MyBlogSpark. General Mills is making a donation in my name to the Pacer's Center for Bully Prevention in exchange for this post. General Mills is also offering a $25 gift card for me to give away to anyone I choose. Any opinions expressed are my own and have not been influenced in any way.